“Random Atonal Trash,” or RAT, is the term that VJ Manzo uses for the Max patches in Chapter 2 of his book Max/MSP/Jitter for Music. What that means is that tones are generated using random numbers. There are several variations on the patch, including a few with sliders for duration and tone. The next few patches seem to require an actual keyboard, which I don’t have, so we’ll see what happens.
And, happily, I just came across another blog that is working through VJ Manzo’s Max book: mikecrane.wordpress.com. I’ll link his stuff as often as I can.
- Max/MSP/Jitter for Music, Ch. 2: Generating Music (first part) (6 exercises)
Patches can be downloaded from http://db.tt/GBYLb0vY (Dead Link)
- UPDATED LINK: Patches can now be downloaded from http://j.mp/1iy19Xl
- Learning MAX/MSP (mikecrain.wordpress.com)
- OpenSoundControl (virtualacoustics.wordpress.com)
- Software Max/MSP/Jitter (gearslutz.com)